Thursday, September 30, 2010

"Houdini" Is Gone . . . .




















"Houdini" is gone. Oh I realize the REAL Harry Houdini passed away in 1926, for many of us - Tony Curtis WAS Houdini. Growing up without cable tv, our family owned one television that once in a while, if the attennae was pointing in the right direction and there was just enough cloud cover, we could pick up old movies on WTTV-4 out of Indianapolis. Every week found me scouring the TV Guide looking for HOUDINI starring Tony Curtis & Janet Leigh. If I was lucky enough I could see the whole movie through the 'fuzzy airwaves'. This was my only connection to magic for the longest time.

I can even remember one year when I couldn't see it because of the distortions and I sat my old reel-to-reel tape recorder next to the tv speaker and recorded most of it so I could at least listen to the words and music whenever I wanted. Those were the days. . .

Whether you agree with the movie's authenticity or not it was inspirational to a lot of aspiring magicians. So here's to you Tony Curtis - thank you - we will miss you.

No comments: